Speed dating has for many years now been a staple in a lot of movies and TV shows. We’ve all watched our favorite actors “act out” scenarios in speed dating — from cute and quirky to flat out hilarious to cringingly awkward to find that magical connection; we’ve seen it all play out on our screens. And these are actually all playing out in real life too!
Speed dating has become the hot, buzzy new thing on the dating scene. It’s an alternative to traditional dating, bar hopping, and even online dating. It’s very quickly making its way up to being the prime choice for singles looking to mingle.
And why not? Unlike other dating forms, which take a lot more time and effort than most of us don’t have in these fast-paced times, speed dating is quicker, simpler, straight to the point, and in a safe, controlled environment. Speed dating strips away all the fluff and cuts through all the roundabouts. It’s a faster, more basic way for people who are open and looking to connect to get together and see who they’ll click with.
Speed Dating 101: A Quick Guide
New to the speed dating scene? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here’s a basic guide to how it all goes down in the modern-romance world of speed dating. Different speed dating services may offer a few tweaks and changes, but the overall game plan is generally the same.
- Participants register ahead of time. This is important because it helps them maintain a good, equal ratio. The cost varies, but it’s usually around $30-$40 a person. Some services do now allow people to register at the door on the day of the event itself.
- At the venue, tables are strategically set up to accommodate two participants only per turn. One-half of the speed dating participants will remain seated on the table (one participant per table). The other half of the participants will move from table to table each time the buzzer sounds.
- The table-hopping will commence until all of the participants seated have had a chance to meet all of the participants moving from one table to another.
- It may vary from service to service, but each speed date usually lasts anywhere from three to ten minutes. Once the date “ends,” each participant notes on the card they have in their hands if they want to spend time with that person once more. Then, the speed dating continues by participants moving on and going face to face with the next date.
- After the speed dating activity ends, all of the participants turn their cards over to the event organizers. Suppose two-speed daters in the event have expressed a mutual desire to see each other again. In that case, the organizers give each other’s contact info to take matters into their own hands and make plans to spend more time together if they wish.
It’s easy and can be a whole lotta fun. But simple as it may sound, speed dating is also, if I may, an art form. To maneuver your way successfully and lean more on the cute and quirky rather than cringingly awkward, you have to know what you’re getting yourself into — and arm yourself with the right speed dating questions! It’s important to have great speed dating questions so that you can enjoy the speed dating experience to the fullest and have a blast. And who knows, the perfect speed dating questions might also lead to you finding that elusive spark with the people you’ll meet!
Here are 51-speed dating questions to reveal everything and help you get to know your date as much as you can in a span of a few minutes! A few choice speed dating questions like these can very well open the door to a great love connection.
Break The Ice
Okay, so the person in front of you is, let’s face it, a total stranger. It can be hard meeting new people or breaking the ice, so it’s a good thing to have some questions that can get the ball rolling and get you both started on the conversation! Here are some cool icebreaker questions that can help you start talking to each other.
1. What would be one lie and two truths about yourself?
2. If you could be someone else, who would you be and why that person?
3. If you were a product, what would your tagline be, and do you think you’d sell out in stores?
4. What fake name would you like to have? Have you used that fake name before?
5. Do you want to change your past or see the future?
6. Would you prefer to be in headlines for a good reason or a wrong reason, and how do you think a headline about you will go?
7. If there was a time machine, in which year would you like to go?
Down Memory Lane
A few lighthearted questions about your date’s background and childhood will be able to give you a better idea about what it was like for them growing up, as well as the kind of person they are. Ask them questions like the below.
8. What was your favorite toy and game to play as a child, and who did you usually play with?
9. What scared you when you were little, and are you still scared of that now?
10. What do you miss about your childhood, and what do you love most about it?
11. What was your childhood dream job, and has it changed?
12. What is your most random, silly childhood memory?
Getting To Know You
A big goal of speed dating is to get to know other people and see if the person you’re getting to know is someone you can potentially like. Pick their brains with some questions that will scratch the surface a bit and help you find out if you two would get along.
13. What time of day are you the perkiest, and what gets your grumpy fast?
14. Do you have a nickname or nicknames, and how did you get them?
15. Do you have any tattoos? What is your dream ink design, and why?
16. What is your typical, everyday outfit like, and what is one thing you’d never wear?
17. What are your strangest quirks, and what quirks bother you the most?
18. What is something you’re completely passionate about?
19. What is your guilty pleasure, and what is the one thing you would do all day if it were possible?
Dig A Little Deeper
Of course, with the limited time you have with each person, you won’t be able to go in-depth on finding out what kind of person they are. But a few key, well-placed questions can help you dig a little deeper into their personality, how their mind works, how they love, and how they live their lives.
20. Have you ever had a bad habit, and how did you break it, if you already have?
21. Who from your past means the most to you?
22. If money were no object, what is the one thing you would buy for yourself?
23. What are some little things that bring happiness and make you laugh in your everyday life?
24. Who has most influenced you in life, and how have they inspired you?
25. What is the one thing you did or wish to do outside of your comfort zone?
26. Is there something you want to change about yourself?
These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things
When you’re meeting someone for the first time who can potentially be part of your life, it’s important to show that you are interested in finding out what they like. Asking questions like these will let them know that you genuinely want to know them and are interested in figuring out what rocks their boat.
27. What TV shows do you watch religiously, and who is your favorite TV character?
28. What is your favorite drink of all time?
29. What are the songs on rotate on your playlist, and who’s your top singer/bands?
30. What is your favorite cheat food, and when did you last indulge?
31. What is your favorite website, and how often do you visit?
32. What food can you not live without?
This Or That
Questions like these may seem a little mundane, but they’re essential. Finding out what a person likes or dislikes, and knowing their preferences, can help you see if you are compatible. These can help see how well you and your date will match up.
33. Are you an adventurous or a picky eater?
34. Would you like to date someone older or younger than you, or do you believe age is just a number?
35. Are you more of an Amazon, online shopping person, or a store-going, mall-strolling shopper?
36. Would you rather stay at home to watch a movie or catch a flick in the movie theater?
37. Let’s talk drinks: Beer or wine, and coffee or tea?
38. Are you a book or a movie person? Would you rather read the novel or wait for the film to come out?
Get Your Flirt On
One very important aspect is finding out if you two have that spark when it comes to dating. Chemistry can never be overrated because chemistry is what will power up your connection. Find out if a sizzling future may be in store for you by throwing in a few of these flirty questions.
39. What are your top three turn-ons?
40. What is the sexiest and most romantic thing I could do for you?
41. What’s your ultimate go-to pick up line, and does it work?
42. What’s your take on PDA, and how far can you go in public?
43. What is that one dating tip you don’t understand, and the one dating tip you swear by?
44. What would you do if you got stuck with me on an island?
Laughter Is The Best Medicine
Can you feel the potential? Are you and your date starting to hit it off? Cap things off by sharing a few laughs! Don’t be afraid to get silly with a funny question or three. It’ll show your date that you have a great sense of humor, and it will also help you both see if your humor matches up. Laughing together is always a good thing.
45. If you had to pick an animated character who will portray you in a documentary about your life, who would it be?
46. Which superhero would you most like to be, and what superpower would you like to have? What would be your superhero name?
47. Do you know any magic tricks, and what magic tricks do you want to learn to do?
48. Which movie title suits you the best from all the movie titles ever?
49. What suspicion do you have in life but have no proof?
50. What would you do if you had a twin, and who would you pull a twin switch on?
51. If you could be a famous personality for a day, who would you choose?
Got the right speed dating questions? Great! Here are a few other tips to help you have an excellent speed dating experience:
- Remember to show up! It may seem logical, but many people sign up chicken out at the last minute. If you’ve registered, make it a point to be there so that the numbers also even out.
- Come early, and set some time afterward to mingle with the other singles, if the service allows it. This will give you a chance to chat a bit more with the other participants.
- When you’re on your date, stay focused on the person in front of you, and don’t stress out about the kind of impression you may be making. Relax, turn your attention to the person you’re talking to. That will create more chances of establishing a connection.
- Keep things light and roll with the punches. It’s a five to ten-minute date, not a three-hour documentary! Keeping things fun and casual will help put the other person at ease too.
- Be prepared for just about anything, and don’t be too rigid. Don’t stick to a script — sometimes the best things are born out of the unexpected! Be open!
- Be yourself. That’s the simplest and best advice to keep in mind. They’re here to get to know you, too — and the only way to start up a genuine connection is by being your most genuine self.
Speed dating may be newish territory, but with the right mindset and the right speed dating questions, it’s something you can conquer — and maybe even come out of ripe with the possibility of romance! Have fun, and let the speed dating begin!